An ounce of prevention really can have a huge impact on keeping your pipes from freezing this winter. Help prevent frozen pipes by:
- Draining exterior water lines to prevent pressure from building up.
- Insulating water pipes in unheated exterior walls, the basements or a crawl space
- Using sleeve-type insulation to help keep interior pipes above 20 F.
- Keeping faucets open, even just a trickle, whenever temperatures are close to freezing.
- Using space heaters for uninsulated areas or during extreme cold snaps. If possible, close room doors after unplugging a space heater to keep areas warm longer.